Assistance and Services Directory: National

The information below relates to assistance that is available throughout Australia. More help may be available depending on where you live. Please use the map on the right to navigate to information more specific to your home State.

Australian Government Assistance


Carer Gateway

  • Carer Gateway
    Carer Gateway is a national online and phone service that provides practical information and resources to support carers.
    Free call 1800 422 737 for support and advice Monday to Friday. 8am to 6pm.

Department of Human Services

  • Service Finder
    Portal to Australian Government Services including Disability and Carers; Health and Raising Children.
    Centrelink provides payments to people who provide daily care to someone with severe disability or a medical condition.
  • Financial Assistance for Carers
    As a parent or carer of a child with HLHS or other complex Congenital Heart disease, you may be entitled to one or more of the above payments.If your child is hospitalised at the time you are applying for assistance, the Social Work department of the hospital should be able to help with completing the application and providing the correct evidence to Centrelink to support your application.
    Synopsis: Centrelink provides payments to people who provide daily care to someone with severe disability or a medical condition. (Carer payment; Carer allowance; Carer Supplement; Carer Adjustment Payment; Child disability Assistance Payment)

Other National Assistance

  • Ronald McDonald Houses
    Ronald McDonald Houses are attached to major women's or children’s hospitals and provide a home away from home for seriously ill children and their families.

There are two hospitals in Australia designated as Nationally Funded Centres to provide the life-saving Norwood Procedure:

Other centres do perform surgeries and procedures related to the treatment of HLHS and other complex CHD. Please check the 'State Directories" to find out where these facilities are in your local area. Additionally, a comprehensive list of hospitals throughout Australia can be found at MyHospitals.

State Governments provide varying levels of financial assistance to help cover patient travel and accommodation costs.  Further details about these schemes are available in the State Directories.

  • Carers Australia
    Carers Australia is the national peak body representing Australia’s carers, advocating on behalf of Australia’s carers to influence policies and services at a national level. It works collaboratively with partners and its member organisations, the Network of state and territory Carers Associations, to deliver a range of essential national carer services.

[freehtml5map id="0"]

Information in this register is organised by State

To access details of what assistance is available to you, please select your residential State from the map above.